About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
Sweet Remission! God is so good!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Mothers Day; Special Day.......then on to Week #10

I remember as a little girl growing up in a Pentacostal church, I loved the Southern Tradition of the Mothers Day Corsage.

The tradition went like this..........a red flower honored your mother if she was still living and a white flower honored the memory of her if she had passed on.  All the church ladies came decked out in their prettiest outfits on Mothers Day Sunday....complete with a red or white corsage.  Although corsages are now thought of as old-fashioned, I think it is still a sweet and lovely tradition.

This past Mothers Day Sunday afternoon, Leslie's kitchen in Mineola was buzzing with wonderful mothers.......my mother, my sister and my daughter.  We all gathered in the kitchen to put together a hodge podge of food, share conversation, laugh and just enjoy the afternoon.  Later we relaxed on the back porch and enjoyed the absolutely perfect weather.  As my Riley would smile and say...."Livin' the life, Baby."

For entertainment, we can always count on Riley.  That little 7-year-old has a fabulous imagination and such an extensive vocabulary.  I've managed to document some of what LeBeau refers to as "Riley-isms"....but not nearly enough.  I could probably write a whole book if I really put my mind to it. 

This past weekend Riley sat with me on the porch swing for a while.  We were quickly joined by "Whiskers".....Riley's yellow and white cat.  Riley commenced telling me that Whiskers has turned out to be a really good cat.  In fact, Whiskers had actually caught three mice AND one bird.  Riley also shared that she and her Mom have been plagued with barn swallows who keep trying to build nests under their porches.  These are such nuisance birds as they make a mess and they seem be dive bombing at your head!  Riley then explained that the one bird Whiskers killed was actually a red bird.......BUT she thinks Whiskers accidentally killed the red bird while trying to get a barn swallow.  She is absolutely sure it wasn't on purpose......red birds are just too pretty!!

True to form, Riley then shared another story that had never even crossed my mind!  She said, "You know, Whiskers has turned out to be a much better cat than Tom."   I asked, "Tom?  Is Tom one of MiMi's cats?"  She replied with such seriousness...."No.  MiMi doesn't have any cats now.  You know Tom from "Tom & Jerry".  Whiskers has caught three mice already and Tom can't even catch one little mouse.....and he has been trying for years!!"  Humm......she certainly had a point there.

Today Les & Jim made their usual Monday trip to ETMC Cancer Center and marked off Week #10 of the first 12 weeks of chemo.  Leslie sent me a text message at 12:49 p.m........"10 down!!!! 6 more to go!  Hope u guys are having a great day!"  Yes, 2 more weekly treatments, then 4 of what the nurses call the nasty chemo.......

Tomorrow and Wednesday, Les will have to rest and try to build her strength back up......she is doing great even though each week it gets harder for her to bounce back.  I can only imagine what the last 4 rounds will be like for my sweet daughter........but I'm thankful for all the love, the support and the prayers........circulating daily......hourly......by so many.

In spite of everything, Les has a special way of making us smile.  A few weeks ago as she weighed in before her treatment, the nurse said, "Well, you lost 2 pounds since last week."  Les smiled and said, "Well, yes......I cut off all my hair!"  Hummmm......and we wonder where Riley gets it.....?

No comments:

Post a Comment